Monday, August 19, 2013

Was There Anything I Can Help You Find Today?

Welcome!

First off, let me welcome you all to the blog. What the intended purpose of my writing is to basically bitch and moan about working a retail/customer service job. I would like to point out that I am grateful to have a job and about 60% of what it entails isn't that bad. However, the other 40% of it far out shadows the good. That being said, this blog will be about shitty customers, terrible coworkers, incompetent management, etc. Names and dates will be changed to protect the innocent, namely me as I am still employed at my job. I'll also throw in some stories about my former jobs in retail/customer service and those are a doozie. There will also be tales from my friends and colleagues as well as you, the reader. Again, names and all that jazz will be changed so as not to identify the person. So, with all that being said let's get to the good stuff.


How Much is that Dead Doggie in the Window?

A few weeks ago my place of work kept getting phone calls everyday from the same customer. Normally this isn't a big deal but what this woman was asking for was a bit strange. She was looking for one of these...


You're probably wondering what that is. It's a fucking urn for a dog's ashes. Creepy, no? This is probably an item you want to ask your vet about where to get one. Seems like a logical idea right? Wrong. This woman kept calling insisting we had them or at least an item similar to it. Now granted, my store sells a lot of crazy shit but dog urns are not one of them.


On the 4th day she had called I had the luck of answering the phone when she called. I kept it calm and civil as I do with most of the batshit loonies that call/come in. As the call progressed she grew more and more irate that I could not find the item she was looking for. I get that you're upset ma'am but yelling to a stranger on the phone isn't going to help matters. I suggested a few options for her such as a jewelry box or other small wooden box but she wasn't having any of it.


After about 15 minutes of this back and forth she proceeded to tell me about the dog and it's life. This isn't something I prepared to hear first thing in the morning. I also felt bad because I like dogs and losing one sucks. However, let's not forget the fact that if you die and no one finds the body quickly a dog will eat you. Cats too. Never forget that folks.


Finally I had enough and put the phone down while she continued to yammer away. I went and got a cup of coffee and attempted to regain my senses. She was still talking when I picked up the phone. At that point the store was about to open so I kindly suggested a few places for her to look and to I don't know, CALL YOUR VET AS THEY WILL KNOW WHERE TO GET A DOG URN! She thanked me and hung up the phone. For the rest of the day this bizarre little vignette stuck with me. I've heard a lot of crazy things in my time and this probably goes down in the top 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment