Friday, September 6, 2013

But There Was Dignity in Plastic Seats That Day

One thing I can't stand is someone insulting my intelligence. For some reason it just really grates my cheese when people look down upon me just because I work a retail job. I'm college educated and a hair away from receiving a degree (HOLLA AT HIGHER LEARNING!) For the majority of people out there, especially students, we need retail jobs because they offer flexible scheduling and there's always one out there. No one chooses this as a career. No, it's just a way to get a paycheck and keep oneself in cheap beer ("Mmmm...PBR" said no one ever) and food. However some customers seem to think that a person working in retail is stupid and therefor has the right to talk down to them. Really, no one has any right to talk down to anyone but some people feel it is their life's mission to be a complete jackass to those around them. In short, don't talk to people like they are morons. Unless they really are one and in that case carry on. Here's a little ditty about a time someone called me stupid...



Johnny Cash says it best.



Common Sense is Not So Common

I'm a fairly intelligent person. Always got good grades but alas, my laziness and "fuck 'em all" attitude has kept me from realizing my true potential (Actual quote from my mother. Thanks ma) so I've been a professional student the majority of my adult life while trying to figure out what I wanted to do. In the meantime, I've held a serious of jobs that sucked and did little more than make me question the moral nature of society. All the while I felt my brain slowly melting and kept up on reading and learning to keep myself from being a brain dead zombie. It's worked pretty well so far, I suppose. But there was one day at a previous job that really made me furious and question my own intelligence. Here's how the exchange went:

Me: Ok, your total comes to $49.95
Customer: The sign says $39.99
Me: Yes, but that is the price before tax.
Customer: That's not what the sign says.
Me: Yes, underneath it says "Price before taxes." You do have to pay tax here.
Customer: Unbelievable. You know, maybe if you got an education and were smarter you wouldn't work in a place like this.
Me: Ma'am, I'm in college plus I know how to read signs. I think I'm doing ok here. Perhaps you should brush up on your grasp of written words you would know what my sign clearly says.
Customer: How dare you! Where is your manager!?
Me: Hold on, I'll go get him.


I got a written warning that day for "insubordination" (not sure the boss really knows that that word meant) and being rude to a customer. I regret nothing.



What I did with my written warnings.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment